Advanced Photoshop Contest - 32 high resolution entries
James Bond is turning 80 this Wednesday. Not the character but noble Sir Sean Connery. The ultimate man's man. The original James Bond and best. It's a little known fact that Sean was this close from not being picked for the James Bond role. Ian Fleming apparently took against the man he referred to as "that f*cking truck driver" and producers were also looking at Patrick McGoohan and Roger Moore for the role. The film's financiers also did not care for the former "Edinburgh milkman" (Connery is from Edinburgh, and worked as milkman in his early days) either but then his wife Dana told them Big Sean was "to die for" after she saw him kiss someone on film. Being a real womanizer, Sean got the role but left his wife Diana to marry his new love interest, of whom he wrote: "I met my new wife through playing golf. She is French and couldn't speak English and I couldn't speak French, so there was little chance of us getting involved in any boring conversations - that's why we got married really quickly."
Happy 80th birthday, Sir Sean!
To celebrate the upcoming 80th birthday of Sean Connery, photoshop him any way you wish.
Register to post comments and participate in contests.
This contest is fueled by the following news: Sir Thomas Sean Connery (born August 25, 1930, Edinburgh) is a Scottish film actor , producer, and knight. He worked on TV & theatre. He acted in more than 70 films of which 7 are screen versions of creations of Ian Fleming, where Sean Connery plays the role of protagonist – James Bond.
Thomas Sean Connery was born on August 25, 1930 in Edinburgh, Scotland.
James Bond (1962-1967, 1971, 1983):
One of the main achievement of Sean Connery was the role of secret agent “James Band”. He acted in seven Bond films, six of them were produced by Company “EON” and also in unofficial remake of “Thunderball”, produced by the company “Warner Brothers”: “Dr. No” (1962), “From Russia with Love” (1963), “Goldfinger” (1964), “Thunderball” (1965), “You Only Live Twice” (1967), “Diamonds Are Forever” (1971) & “Never Say Never Again” (1983) (unofficial remake).
Impressive & still alert, the actor was identified by producers Harry Saltzman & Albert R. Broccoli after screen testing other candidates for the role of James Bond, among which were David Niven (subsequently played Bond in parody “Casino Royale” in 1967), Cary Grant & James Mason; last two refused to act in films, citing age. Small budget compelled the producers to cast a newcomer.
Sean Connery is an active member of Scottish National Party & staunch supporter of independence of country from England.
* Sean Connery is 189 cm (6’21/2’’) tall; not a single Bond girl was short to him by not more than half-head;
* Sean Connery left the school at the age of 13. He joined navy at the age of 16. He completed furniture polishing course of British Legion. Sean Connery changed many professions, worked as artist’s model, rescuer, stage worker and model;
* Sean Connery has two tattoos on his right hand: “Scotland Forever” & “Mum and Dad”. Tattoos were made while he was serving in Royal Navy;
* Sean Connery started smoking at the age of 9. Subsequently, he quit smoking due to serious throat problems;
* Sean Connery is married twice. First wife of Sean Connery was an actress Diane Cilento. They were couple since December 6, 1962 till September 6, 1974. The couple have one son Jayson. Jayson Conney was also an actor. Micheline Roquebrune, a painter, is second wife of Sean Connery. She is a French lady with Morocco descent. They are married since 1975 to this day (no children). Micheline is older than Sean by one year;
* Sean Connery spent entire remuneration from his film “Diamonds Are Forever” on charity;
* Sean Connery refused to do the role of Gandalf in the film “The Lord of the Rings” since he did not want to stay 18 months in New Zealand & he does not like fantasy romantic films at all;
* Sean refused to do the role of protagonist in a classical “The Thomas Crown Affair” (1968), which he later called it a biggest mistake;
* List of films, in which Sean Connery refused to act, were highly impressive. Amongst them are: “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skull”, “Matrix”, Oliver Stone’s “Alexander”, Terry Gilliam’s “The Adventures of Baron Munchausen”, Steven Spielberg’s “Jurassic Park”, “From Hell” & “Topaz” of Alfred Hitchcock;
* Sean Connery is the oldest person, who was tagged as Sex Symbol: he was 59 years old in 1989. However, Connery received the news without special enthusiasm: “All this is temporary, soon much younger & handsome actors will throw me away from this place”. However, exactly ten years later - in 1999 - the same magazine “People”, summing up the last century, named Sean Connery as Sexiest Man of XXth century.
* Sean Connery & his son Jayson played the role of Robin Hood - Sean in 1976 (“Robin & Marian”) & Jayson in 1984 (television serial “Robin from Sherwood”);
* Sean Connery always took great interest in sports. He played football, he was even offered contract with club “Manchester United” but Sean Connery chose an acting career. He is a good swimmer, plays tennis, golf & chess. Besides, he seriously took to body building in his younger days & in 1953, he occupied third place during “Mr. Universe” competition in his division;
American Film Academy “Oscar” awards:
* Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in 1988 for his role in gangster drama “Untouchables”;
Award of Honorable legion:
* 1991 – Legion D’ Honneur
* In July 2000, Sean Connery received title “Sir”, after being knighted by Queen Elizabeth II. Knighting ceremony took place on July 5, 2000 in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Other awards of Sir Sean Connery:
* 1981 - “Honourary Doctor of Letters” by Heriot-Watt University, Scotland;
* 1984 - Fellowship - Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, Glasgow, Scotland;
* 1987 – Commandeur Des Arts Et Des Lettres, France;
* 1988 – “Honourary Doctor of Letters”, University of St. Andrews, Scotland;
* 1989 – According to opinion poll, conducted by “People” magazine, Sean Connery was named Sexiest Living Man – 1989;
* 1991 – Scot of the Year. Award of BBC, Scotland;
* 1991 - The Freedom of the City of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland;
* 1997 – Award “Film Society of Lincoln Center Gala Tribute”, USA;
* 1999 - Award of National association of Theatre Owners “ShoWest Lifetime Achievement Award” for his contribution to cinema;
* 1999 – Award “Kennedy Center Award”, Washington, USA;
* 1999 – Sexiest Man of the Century (according to poll of magazine “People”, 1999);
* 2001 –William Wallace Award, conferred by Scottish Fund of USA for contribution to history & popularity of mother land – Scotland, Washington, USA;
* 2003 - Manuel Amador Guerrero Award, Panama;
* 2004 - Moroccan Order of Intellectual Merit, Morocco;
* 2004 – One of the 100 sexiest actors in movie history (according to the poll, conducted by magazine “Empire”, 1995, 2004).
Browse more pictures on the similar topics: seanconnery