Last Friday, May 6, America's famous womanizer, bachelor, actor, and film director, George Clooney turned half a century old.
Today we present you some interesting facts about George Clooney:
* George shared a Los Angeles home with Kelly Preston, when the two were both struggling actors. She gave George a Pot-Bellied Pig as a pet. He named him 'Max' and kept him as his companion for eighteen years, until the pig passed away on December 1, 2006. It was a hard year for George and his pets, his Bulldog also passed away that year.
* George slept in a friend's closet for a year while waiting for his big break into the acting world. Hestarted acting in 1982 when his cousin, Miguel Ferrer got him a bit part in a feature film. He then moved to Los Angeles, California, to pursue a career in acting.
* George auditioned for the role of 'Mr. Blonde' in Quentin Tarantino's hit thriller Reservoir Dogs, but was turned down.
* George has appeared in television commercials for: Martini, AT&T, AquaFina, and Fiat.
* George has been nominated for four Oscars, and won once. In 2006, he was nominated 3 times, including 2 nominations for Good Night and Good Luck. The two categories were "Best Achievement in Directing" and "Best Writing, Original Screenplay". That same year he won "Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role" for Syriana. In 2008, he was nominated for "Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role" for Michael Clayton.
* George's notes his "perfect" woman from OK! magazine would include Nicole Kidman's laughter, Julia Roberts' personality, Michelle Pfeiffer's "quintessence of beauty", and Jennifer Lopez's ambition.
* George loves beer. He has done voice overs for Budweiser TV commercials and reportedly had a keg of Guinness installed in his dressing room during filming of Ocean's 11.
* George loves the show South Park so much that he called Trey Parker, the creator of the series, and asked for a part in an episode. He was given the role of "Sparky", the gay dog.
And here's a quote from George Clooney: "I was in a bar and I said to a friend, 'You know, we've become those 40-year-old guys we used to look at and say, 'Isn't it sad?'."
Happy 50th birthday, George! Here's to more Oscars and many more great roles!
To celebrate the 50th birthday of George Clooney, photoshop him any way you wish.
Register to post comments and participate in contests.
This contest is fueled by the following news: George Timothy Clooney (born May 6, 1961, Lexington, Kentucky, USA) is an American actor, director, producer and screenwriter. He is the nephew of singer Rosemary Clooney. George Clooney found himself in the big cinema thanks to the TV series "E/R" and the film "From Dusk Till Dawn", which earned him an MTV award in 1996.
Clooney was born in Maysville, around 106 miles from Lexington, Kentucky. His mother, Nina Bruce, was a former beauty queen and his father, Nick, was a journalist, TV anchor on American Movie Classics and a passionate politician from Kentucky. George Clooney grew up in an Irish catholic family. He has an older sister, Adelia, and amongst his cousins are actors Miguel and Rafael Ferrer, sons of his aunt, singer Rosemary Clooney and actor Jose Ferrer. Clooney is also a relative of another singer, Debby Boone, who is married to another son of Rosemary and Jose Gabriel Ferrer. From an early age, Clooney spent time on the sets of his father, participating often in shows where he was the darling of public.
Clooney attended the Blessed Sacrament School in Fort Mitchell, Kentucky. While spending part of his childhood in Ohio, he had been to St. Michael's School in Columbus and St. Susanna School in Mason, Ohio. While in middle school, Clooney suffered from Bell's palsy, a genetic disease that he inherited from his father. For almost a year, half of his face was paralyzed. His left eye was closed and he could not eat and drink normally and therefore earned the nickname "Frankenstein".
As a result, his parents relocated to Augusta, Kentucky, where Clooney attended Augusta High School. He was an enthusiastic baseball and basketball player. He thought about a law career but later on decided against it. He tried to play professional baseball with the Cincinnati Reds in 1977 but he was not offered a permanent contract. He could not get past the first round selection. Clooney then attended Northern Kentucky University from 1979 to 1981, and for a brief period, the University of Cincinnati, but did not graduate from either of the universities.
Clooney got his first major role in 1994 in TV serial " E/R". He also appeared in the TV serial "The Facts of Life". George Clooney also played the role of detective Bobby in one of the episodes of "The Golden Girls". His first major breakthrough was supporting role in sitcom "Roseanne", where he played Booker Brooks, authoritative boss of heroine & subsequent role of constructor on "Baby Talk" & then the role of sexy detective in the serial "Sisters". In 1988, Clooney also played supporting role in the movie "Return of the Killer Tomatoes".
Clooney achieved stardom when he was approached to play Dr.Doug Ross in the TV drama "ER" on NBC. He starred in "ER" from 1994 to 1999 and once again returned to play a cameo role in the fifteenth and final season of the series. George Clooney was also a partner of Deborah Leoni in their production company "Mirador Entertainment".
Clooney began acting in movies when he was still working in "ER" and his first leading role was in the Hollywood film - "From Dusk Till Dawn", directed by Robert Rodriguez. The success of the first film brought him more roles in the films such as "One Fine Day" with Michelle Pfeiffer and "The Peacemaker" with Nicole Kidman. Then, Clooney was selected to play the role of the new Batman (replacing Val Kilmer, who in turn replaced Michael Keaton) in the movie "Batman and Robin". The film had average success at the box office, but Clooney said that the film was a "waste of money". In 1998, he starred in the movie "Out of sight", pairing with Jennifer Lopez. This was the first of his many works with director Steven Soderbergh. George Clooney also played in the film "Three Kings", while he was into his last week of his contract with ER.
Clooney is represented by his agent, Bryan Lourd, Chairman of the "Creative Artists Agency".